lime icon

Phosphorus and Lime

A Developer's Broadsheet

This blog has been deprecated. Please visit my new blog at klenwell.com/press.
Banned on Blogger
I was just banned on Blogger for the first time. What's funny is first I got blacklisted as spam -- which didn't entirely surprise me. It is spam of a sort. Not your crass commercial spam, necessarily -- more of your Monty Python-type spam.

Anyway, I got a message from Blogger offering me a chance to appeal. Fair enough. So I appealed and, lo, a couple days later, much to my pleasant surprise, I was taken off the spam list. But then less than three hours later I got the following message:

We'd like to inform you that we've received a complaint that your blog (imaginarycensus.blogspot.com) contains confidential information. Please note that our Terms of Service prohibit posting confidential items on your blog. Accordingly, we have had to remove the content in question.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more details:
http://www.blogger.com/terms.g

Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,
Blogger Support


Now I could accept being banned as spam. But Blogger's going to try to tell me it's against their terms of service to post confidential information? Ha! And, besides, how can you ban imaginary information as being confidential? This is worse than the Chinese government!

At any rate, it's no great loss to the culture. And an interesting insight into Blogger's censorship practices (which I mostly endorse.) Besides, I took a snapshot of the site after it was flagged the first time. Here it was as last seen on blogspot (well, without the big goofy label):

Imaginary Census