lime icon

Phosphorus and Lime

A Developer's Broadsheet

This blog has been deprecated. Please visit my new blog at klenwell.com/press.
VBS: vbDataset
One of the first things that struck me when I first started working with vbscript was, "Wow, arrays in vbscript are really crappy." I was ready to go on a whiny little tirade when I caught myself and said, "Well, maybe I'm just being spoiled after working with Php and Javascript. I'm sure in the old days, C programmers had to build their arrays with raw bits using their bare hands." I soon learned, however, that I'm not alone in lamenting vbscript array support:

VBScript Weaknesses: Unforgivably Bad Array Support

Still, I've tried to resist the temptation to bitch and moan and, instead, just make it work. Since vbscript does support classes, I figured I could whip up my own list-like data structure. While it has not been a slam dunk, I think I've come upon a decent solution that isn't outrageously convoluted. I call it vbDataset.

It's tailored to the project I'm working on at the moment, but may have more general applications. I've added it to my google code repository. If interested, you can find it there:

svn repository: vbDataset

It includes a test script.

Labels: